Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Impressions

Here are our first impressions of Beirut:

-       Construction exploding with an immigrant labor force living on sight.

-       Multi-million dollar apartment complexes standing a few feet away from buildings still riddled with bullet holes.

-       Calls to prayer from Mosques during the day but a bar scene that rivals Georgetown or Buckhead at night.

-       Coffee that is thicker than mud and proud of it.

-       The craziest, most maniacal drivers in the world, who seem to avoid thousands of near collisions every hour.

-       Pollution from old, diesel powered Mercedes taxis.

-       Most fascinating of all, some of the friendliest, most welcoming who just so happened to have survived one of the nastiest civil wars of the last half-century.

Combine all of this with a political situation that seems to always hang in the balance, and you’ve got the most dynamic place we’ve ever visited.  And now we call it home!

On the Corniche.

Fisherman on the Mediterranean.

View of the new and old from our balcony.


5 comments:

  1. I love that you are sharing your adventure with us all, this way we won't have to keep bugging nan & mike on update! Enjoy every moment!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous, you two. And I've to plan a trip to visit! What an amazing experience.

    -Paul P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope ya'll are enjoying yourselves. Your place looks great. How is the food? I would imagine being right on the Mediterranean that you have some magnificent seafood. Anyway, hope ya'll are doing great and I look forward to the next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more updates...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog, keep it up. Your apartment looks awesome! We all miss you two... going to have to come visit at some point.

    ReplyDelete